Sunday 13 November 2011

Album Cover Research

Ellie Goulding













As Ellie Goulding is one of the initial aritsits we used for inspiration I felt it was appropriate to look at the style of her album covers. The colour scheme is kept simple, using natural,lightcolours and shades that compliment each other. The simplicity of the album is continued in to the text which isn't too fancy and over powering but still acheives an affective look, this same font is used for both the front and back cover. I particually liked the effect added to the text which makes it look as if it is glowing, this gives the album a unique look and puts an edge to the simple style. On both the front and back cover, a blurred effect has been added to the background which makes the photo of Ellie stand out againts the background, I think this is a good effect to use as it avoids her blending into the background which contains similar colours. I also like the positioning and pose of Ellie in this photo, the way in which her hair is blowing around, her head is slightly back and her eyes are closed, these are all ideas which I am going to explore in my own photoshoot.



Rihanna

 











I chose to look at this particular Rihanna cover because I like the setting of the photo. The way in which she is knelt in the long grass is casual and relaxed,suggesting innocence. In both this cover and Ellie Gouldings cover the artists are looking away from the camera giving them a dreamy look which could infer that they are thinking about their relationships, linking on from this the theme and idea of love is symbolised by the dominant colour of red. The long grass around her suggest symbolism of a long peroid of time -a relationship? Like in Ellie Gouldings cover the text is kept simple and is used for both the front and back cover. The blurred affect of the background is again used in this cover which allows the text to stand out in contrast.


Katy Perry



 











I decided to look at this cover by Katy Perry because its style is completely different to the other two covers I previously looked at. It uses bold, bright colours and unlike the other two covers, the main image used is much busier and the artist photo is not as dominat in the over all cover. Another difference of this cover is the text font which is much fancier and feminine, which matches Katy Perrys style. I especially liked the photo used for the back cover, I liked how Katy was stood to the side and how the setting from the front photo is continued through to the back.

 
Ideas influenced from research
After looking at the following album covers I have decided on a number of things I want to include in my own cover:
 
  • Natural colour scheme
  • Simple but affective text/font
  • Photo shoot in a field - trees, long grass, rivers
  • Having the artist stood to the side for the back cover
  • Blurred effect on the background, making the artist stand out in contrast






No comments:

Post a Comment